Monday, December 8, 2014

Smitten Kitchen






Smitten Kitchen is the name of one of my favorite food blogs.  Deb Perelman has a beautiful site with delicious, inspiring recipes and stories about her adventures in her tiny NYC galley kitchen.  I love to cook, and I love to read about food, and I especially love to eat.  I'm an architect, however, and you didn't come here to read about food!  Here's the point of this post:  

I went to a friend's birthday party last weekend and met someone who told me that they are renovating their kitchen.  They asked me about contractors I have worked with and spoke of their design ideas.  Then they asked if I had ever worked with Ikea kitchens.  (I have once).  I learned that Ikea has a kitchen event every three years or so.  They auction off the display kitchens including appliances, hardware, inserts, countertops, plumbing fixtures and lighting to the highest bidder.  Well...these folks bid $3200 for an entire kitchen more cabinets than they could ever fit in their kitchen and they won.  What a deal!  Most kitchens cost at least $20,000 with appliances and countertops.  

The above photo is a custom kitchen that I designed for a sweet little cottage in Sag Harbor.   The photo below are squash blossoms that we stuffed with ricotta cheese filling.  After the photo was taken, we dipped the blossoms in a light batter and fried them to crunchy perfection.  

No comments:

Post a Comment